OHA BOARD MEMBERS
President- Jenine Wilson
Vice President- Adam Johnston
Membership Director- Nathan Body
Treasurer- Mark Polgrabia
Junior Co-ordinator- Wally Oprzedek
Womens Commissioner- Jenine Wilson
Webmaster/Marketing- Garrett Reynolds
Secretary- Peter Service
- May, 2013- 4 Juniors travelled to Nationals in Winnipeg (see results posted on OHA website and Facebook page)
- June Hill Memorial- June 1st, 2013
– Format was modified to include “senior” players, in an effort to expand the number of Big Ball 1-Wall players of all ages across Ontario. The change proved successful, resulting in our largest draw to date, with 32-players participating.
- July, 2013- Junior Handball Clinic/Camp with Lake Forest’s Coach Dau, in Calgary
– Alam Burgos and Wally Oprzedek attended the event hosted by the AHA
– CHA & OHA funded
- 2 Facilities scouted for potential events:
1.) National Fitness; Oakville Venue
4 courts available; playable but rough shape-floors
2.) Commerce West; 427 South
unavailable to general public, membership for courts is for employees of the building only.
- Meeting with Trillium Rep (June 4th, 2013 Jenine, Mark & Wally)
– Provincial Doug Gore 416 963 4927 ext 251 (possibility for future fund requests, i.e Nationals hosted in Ontario).
– Niagara Rep Menfred 905 704 1829 Organizational (possibility for future fund requests, i.e Nationals hosted in Ontario).
– Menfred assisted the OHA in connecting with United Way rep Carol Stewart-Kirkby (905 354-9342 or email@example.com).
– After working hard to complete the Niagara Neighbourhood Initiative Fund Application (aimed at increasing youth participation in community settings), on June 26th 2013 the OHA made its submission.
– In early August, the OHA was granted $2500 to be spend within 1 year of the approval. Specific project outcomes, goals and budget were created by the OHA Board and are required to be reported back to United Way by August 6th 2014 as proof of appropriate use of funds.
- June 24th, 2013 Scotiabank Game Changer Challenge submitted to nominate Wally for ongoing contributions (see write-up).
- Peach King Centre Clinic/Practice (Tuesday evenings, approximately 4 kids)
- Hamilton Y Lessons (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- St. Catharines Y (Saturday mornings, approximately 10 kids)
- Youth Nights in St. Catharines (Monthly, approximately 40 kids)
- Niagara Falls Y (Wednesdays and Sundays, approximately 4 kids)
- Port Weller 1 Wall Lessons (to commence June 14th, 2014)
- May, 2014- 7 Juniors travelled to Nationals in Montreal (see results posted on OHA website and Facebook page)
- Meeting with Lori Mambella at the City of St. Catharines requesting 1 wall courts to be built at the Port Weller Community Center.
– On April 11th, the OHA received confirmations the the Director of Parks and Rec for the City of St. Catharines had approved the application (Niagara Neighbourhood Initiative Fund used for submission with alterations).
– On April 30th the OHA was informed of cost for court preparation, installation and repair equalling $1000.
– The OHA Board voted to approve this cost (April 30th) as it meets the needs and goals expressed in our project outcomes of growing junior handball in Ontario.
– As of May 27th, 2014 Phase 1 is complete; the 2 outdoor 1-wall courts are ready for use.
– Phase 2 will involve taping courts inside the gym of the rec center and getting a handball program offered in their fall guide.
– The OHA will be conducting a joint PR event with the City and Trillium/United Way programs later this summer.
– Phase 3 & beyond could include the installation of several additional courts on the unused tennis courts and upgrades to the existing surfaces.